I’m pretty sure my husband and I invented social media spam. What can I say, I’ve always been ahead of my time. To our defense, Facebook was still a pretty new tool. And it was so simple that we seemed to have everyone we were connected to in a few clicks. Copy/Paste/Hold Your Breath/Send.
But it didn’t take many other companies long to realize that this was the simplest method of all time for gaining instant business… until everyone was doing it. Everyone was receiving it. And no one wanted to be that person.
That’s when your business will become dead in the water as a network marketing professional. When it stops duplicating.
Social media is so powerful with so many ways to make money online from influencer marketing, paid courses, network marketing… and on. And it’s not going away anytime soon but it does change so quickly in a way that makes you continue to stand out is key. Our brains are so smart they pick up on old tactics fast. And that’s why there are no more shortcuts to building this freedom and remote lifestyle.
OK. Ok. Wo when I started to take note, I asked - so what exactly were some of these other leaders doing? Why was it SO attractive? And were they really building a business by just adding value?
Because that is the only thing that will give you staying power. Being a person that people want to follow. And then people do business with those that they know, like, and trust.
This method doesn’t have to be complicated but it does take patience and consistency. On the other hand it does have to be more than “hey look at me… using my product… AGAIN” or “Hey Look at me… never missing a moment while you’re stuck at work… Again” or some version of that exact same message on repeat. As your audience, we have all seen it and this information no longer carries any value.
Here are 5 things I teach my team and how they are winning!
1. It has to be YOU! What are the OTHER tools, tips, and techniques you use? What’s a DIFFERENT side of your personality that you love (funny, sassy, big heart??). My girls are showcasing things from other products they love, books they’re reading, adventures they are going on. They are funny, they are serious, and they are all different.
2. Content Curation. This is a fancy word for saying that your “content” aka posts, don’t have to be created in real time. If making a post in the 5 spare minutes you have is causing so much anxiety (what should I say, what picture should I use, should I just advertise my product again? Oh, crap. The kids are screaming) that you get nothing accomplished or if you just like a system and a plan, then content curation is going to be your jam. It also allows you to mix it up so you can see a good balance of brand and business. Content curation is just taking a bunch of pictures, editing different captions, and posting them at a later date. Boom. And for a person like me, who has a BIG FAT VISION… I actually want to see the path to get there. Curation is that strategy.
3. Build a brand. Authenticity is a big word these days. And there is an important distinction from being authentic and giving away all of your goods. I think it’s so important to keep some things private, special, and reserved for just you and your family. So what is your brand? What are the things that you are all out there about? And what are your consistent messages that help you in creating your content. Pick 3-5 topics. Pick an emotion. And let that carry through in your words and pictures.
4. Aesthetics. Another fancy way of saying that people like things that look good. Again, this doesn’t take away from your authenticity, it enhances it. Creating simple photos that can “slow your scroll” and get your message across is a powerful tool to making sure that your audience isn’t just rolling right past you.
5. GO FOR IT! Whatever you choose… just GO FOR IT! Want to be the next Insta sensation? GO! Want to build a huge FB group? DO IT! Want to dominate Facebook Live? YOU GOT THIS. Email Funnels and freedom? ENJOY! Just don’t overthink it. Because you will change your mind. Your business will change it’s shape. And you will learn more and get better no matter what. So just GO with everything you have in you.
I love social media marketing for network marketing. Because it’s using the exact same strategies that any other successful business is using. And when you learn to build your business with integrity and validity + the compensation opportunities in network marketing, you will build massive respect and a massive income!
I find myself floating somewhere between sadness and regret for being so blind to how I have been tackling my life and gratitude for the realization and finally giving myself the time and space to work through it all.
For such a long time, I have been on a treadmill. Sprinting to nowhere. I thought if I could just muscle through some of the difficult parts of my life, on the other side would be the promise of bliss. Lord knows I’ve tried every ‘act as if’ exercise in the book. But it just didn’t seem to work out that way. I still find myself worried that “checking out” of the places where I have placed so much emphasis will in someway slow my progress down. But then the wisdom in me, comes in with a much louder voice, assuring me this is the furthest thing from the truth. That without this time of space and grace I will forever remain on that treadmill… next stop nowhere.
So what kind of real change do I anticipate will take place? I am not sure. So far, I have had a massive cut back on my zone out time throughout the day which has led to a massive increase in my satisfaction. I have enjoyed my children so much more. Increased my patience. Decreased my anxiety (though we still have work to do there). I have taken some conscious planning into my vision for my home, not just the pretty furniture and wall decor, but what I want it to smell and feel like, how to make my children feel more at home… how to make me feel more at home… and eventually how to make it a more welcoming space for others. I always wanted to have a space where people wanted to be and felt comfortable.
I have also thought about general self-care of myself and my family and how I want to show up for others. For the first time in a long time, I am feeling less afraid of letting others in and more genuinely interested in how I can show up for them. How I can have faith in the reciprocity of love.
I've always been one that will overcomplicate things. And yet, refuse to settle. Because it doesn't matter if I achieve my business goals if I don't achieve my family goals. It doesn't matter if I achieve my impact goals if I risk my health.
You get one life. And success, my friends is a full circle.
I’m taking a social media sabbatical. Because of the business I’m in, I’ve learned some habits. One if which is to never post anything negative. Ever. Don’t be controversial. Politics. Religion. Swearing. Fuck. OK, no one really likes that on social media anyway. Except the swearing (but only when absolutely necessary).
But stay away from conversations on gay rights, black rights, women’s rights… you know humanity and things that matter. Don't ever get sick or have a bad day. Don't ask for help.
Just take one more smiley selfie. Because that's what the world needs.
I’m tired. I’m tired of not being real. I’m tired of keeping the things that matter locked inside. I’m tired of trying to show everyone that network marketing is some fantasy land. Don’t get me wrong. It’s incredibly rewarding. The lessons I’ve learned, the people I’ve met, the residual income I’ve earned. But having to show up sunshine and rainbows all of the time is just a soul sucker.
One of the things that actually attracted me to my new company was watching the constant message of coming to the table as the real you.
Yet some habits die hard, I guess. I still struggle. What to post? What not to post? So let me scroll through and find someone else better than me and mimic what they're doing. Because in some way, shape, or form I'm not good enough.
So I'ma take a little break and come back when I'm ready to play like a big girl. When I'm ready to speak my truth from my heart like the worthy MomBoss I know I am. When I can get the answers from my soul and not from someone with xxK followers.
You see. I just can’t not cut through the bullshit anymore.
I'm a messy hair lovin' - soulful book junkie - mompreneur who's totally addicted to helping women design a life they lovI'm here, simply, to share my truth so that it inspires you to live yours! To be your boldest, most authentic self, to find your tribe that supports your soul, and to go after success in every area of your life. e.